Thursday, March 19, 2009

~Homemade Laundry Soap~

Are you watching your pennies? Trying to be frugal in today's scary economy? Me too! Lately I've had two customers tell me they're making their own LAUNDRY SOAP! Sounded a little crazy to me initially, but I guess a lot of us are truely getting back to a simpler tyme! One of my crafters, Carole Hymer of Pickleberry Primitives, emailed this to my Mom today & I thought you might be interested in the recipe! I think I may try it as well!

24 cups of water
1 bar Fels Naptha or Zote soap (Fels can be found at Kroger's)
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax

Bring water to a boil. Grate the bar soap while water is boiling. Turn off the heat to water. Stir the soap into the water and stir until the soap is dissolved. Then add the washing soda and borax and stir till all is dissolved. Stir every so often (about every 20-30 minutes), til soap is cooled. Makes approx 1 1/2 gallons of laundry soap and the consistency is like a lumpy tapioca pudding. Use 1/2 cup per load.


Thanks Carole!!

2 comments:

LoveThePrimLook said...

This laundry soap is great !!! Your mom and Carole are such a hoot :)

Angie

Jailhouse Primitives said...

Yes they are!!!!! I can't wait to try this soap! I've got a list of goodies I want to make...just not enough time! Thanks Angie!

Items for Sale by Jailhouse Primitives on Ebay